Tuesday, September 14, 2010

College Essay

As you reach for the next paper of the thousands you need to read sent in by your secretary, you feel something out of place. A box. Curious, you slowly pick up the box from the large stack of essays and find out it’s a small, fancy box of chocolates. So you lean back, take a deep sigh, and opened the small box to see a folded paper inside. You take out the paper and it is in fact, another essay. You think it’s probably a kiss-up trying to “give” himself into the college but you start to read the title. And the first sentence. It said:




“My name is Joseph Doike. I am 17 and I wish to enroll in Washington University”



Don’t they all?



“You’ve probably picked up the box lid and realized there’s 6 different chocolates inside the box.”



You look inside the box and see that they are all different. Intrigued, you start over again from the top.



“My name is Joseph Doike. I am 17 and I wish to enroll in Washington University. You’ve probably picked up the box lid and realized there’s 4 different chocolates inside the box. I will explain it later. If you take a closer look at the cover of the box, you would notice that there’s a vibrant green ribbon wrapped around the corner of the box lid as well as a mix of gray and black thick lines and circles laid out on the cover box. The green ribbon states that I am environmentally concerned with our planet. Global warming and pollution is starting to make a major impact on our planet. It is even one of the prophecies thought to happen in 2012, which never happened because here you are, reading this paper in 2013. The gray and black lines and circles covering the lid under the ribbon states that I am quite fluent in HTML and understanding technology and machines. I’ve taken an Industrial Engineering and Technology course as well as MeneMac, which is a computer based core class back in Hawaii. After I fully graduate college, I wish to design buildings and structures for my future.



If you would examine the piece of chocolate in the corner, the chocolate that looks like poop spaghetti wrapped around a meatball reminds me how I felt growing up in High School. Scrambled. When I was in elementary school, the teacher would assign twelve math problems and we would all moan and groan and complain that it’s too much work. I thought that high schoolers got it easy with the work they do. They always glamorized high school as easy work and everyone passes so we all don’t need to worry about this. Now when I graduated to Middle school, I had periods. Social Studies, English, Math, Science, etc. And the homework began to multiply. And I still thought I would catch a break in high school. Now im a sophomore in high school and the ironic thing is, I would do anything for the homework I would get in elementary school or middle school. Now, I would have essays upon essays to write and sheets and books of work to do and every night when I would lie down in my bed my head would be like one of those programs when you do too much too fast and it would stop responding. I couldn’t think straight and focus on one thing. My mind would always veer away. My head became mush and soggy with brain juice just because I tired it out.



The one next to it is a chocolate that looks like a winking happy face. This is me. I always like to take every chance I get to “release myself”. As in just go out and have fun. I always like to go out and do stuff with my friends after school, talk, and laugh. People always call me different but I think that’s what makes me, me. I think that If I try to fit in with the regular crowd, then there’s nothing special happening. But when you meet new people and connect with them, it’s always a good feeling to meet new people. And they slowly learn who you really are and it’s just awesome. Friends make memories precious and wonderful. I remember when I went to a robotics sleepover and the whole team stayed up almost all night playing Rock Band, and Halo, games like that and I would go around to the people who were sleeping and draw on their faces. People laughing behind me. My point is, no one wants to be alone. You need people to make your life enjoyable and I really look forward to the new people I’ll meet in college.



Now next to that is a round ball with a plus on it. I am smart, although I prefer not using my brain when given the opportunity. When I focus on something I want done, it’s done with excellence. The plus stands for above average. And I am purely above average and I will not let people down and when I do, I feel so guilty that I did that I want to make up for it whether it’s late work, done with excellent excellence. Didn’t turn it in, fancy it up. I’m no genius, but I know how to do this.



You should turn your focus to the last piece. The present looking piece. A gift that keeps on giving. I think helping people and making them happy is a gift all in itself. Every year in Hawaii, there’s something called an Okinawa Festival. I’m involved in doing the shisa, which is a traditional lion that stands at temples warding the evil spirits away. It’s like a Chinese lion dance except less flare-y and tricks-y. I’m the back end of the shisa and I love it. It makes so many people happy to see something like that and the thrill I get when I see the little kids face through the mesh covering me makes me want to give it my all. Also, at a bon dance, you have a large tower called the “yagura” and people dancing around it. But in the way front, right next to the tower, you have drummers called Taiko. And yes, I’m involved in that. For the whole day, it’s volunteering at booths and selling food. And there are happy people everywhere I turn and I know I’m doing a good job in what I do. I do many more voluntary services but this one memory is my favorite. You may now sit back and enjoy your chocolates. Have a good day.”

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joseph,

    I really like your essay because of the way you explained how your essay would be different from the rest of the applicants that were sent in. You showed how you are a good asset to the school in many different fields. You also made the essay easier for the reader to read, segregating yourself from any ordinary essay out there. Overall, this essay was great.

    -Darian Corpuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey joseph [:

    I agree with Darian that you explained your essay well and that it would be different from the rest of applicants. Your essay is very unique and creative. I like the idea that you organized your essay by representing each chocolate or piece of the box to yourself. You specifically explained why each of the chocolate represents you.

    However you do have few grammatical errors here and there. This is one of them:

    You may now sit back and enjoy your chocolates. Have a good day.”

    Why is there only one quotation mark? In my opinion, i think you should have a better last sentence for your conclusion to finish it up.
    Other than that i think you did a good job. [;

    ~Kevin Caguillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joseph,
    I agree that this rather quirky essay does stand out and does characterize you nicely.
    What you need to do for your revision is work more carefully (you first say 6 chocolates and then 4) and, more important, provide more "show, not tell" for your characterization. You describe your chocolates pretty specifically (though I wouldn't advice telling an admissions officer that you're giving him poop spaghetti ;) but then, when you move to the part where you give *evidence* of these characteristics in your life, you begin to explain, rather than show.
    Darian and Kevin--thanks for commenting on the essay, but try to do a more complete job. Your comments are not very helpful for Joseph's revision.
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete