Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Project: Icarus: Okinawan Taiko

Topic: Okinawan Taiko

I want to do my project icarus on Okinawan taiko. it's just somethin gi enjoy doing and i've been doing for the past 2 years. I can talk to my senseis and my senpais( teachers and instructors) as resources and people who can acknowledge i've been doing this.

So...
TOPIC: Okinawan Taiko

PASSION & STRETCH: I've been doing this for over 2 years and i love it. it empties all of my energy, it's a good workout and i can keep up the neighbors ;3
People are serious about this as am I and i meet wonderful new people every year so it make me want to keep coming back and make new friends.

RESOURCES & RESEARCH:
My senseis can tell alot about okinawan history and okinawan culture. Taiko is a celebration of the dead being brought back to dance at the end of every lunar year (usually during the end of summer, called 'Bon') and it lasts 3 days. So it's tradition that you make as much spiritual noise through the taiko to call the dead to come back. In Okinawa, if you play the taiko on days where the Bon isn't on, you're basically sending older people to their graves early. That's how important it is. But  we're not in Okinawa and cultures and traditions aren't exactly strong here. and so people changed the tradition into a summer celebration. however, some people still believe the okinawan tradition.

PROCESS & PRODUCT: I will document the practices held every thursday. film and record the practices of the dancing and the drumming. I would like to make sort of a documentary with interviews and the such. Detailed interviews that would explain the purpose of the taiko prganization.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joseph,
    I'm posting this a second time because, for some reason, it didn't show up the first time.
    It sounds like you have genuine passion and commitment to the art of taiko. What you need to do for this project is be able to demonstrate equally genuine stretch learning, learning that goes beyond what you would ordinarily experience in your work with taiko.
    Assessment score: MS (3+)
    mrs s

    ReplyDelete