Home. A place of bliss and what many would call their own “querencia”. It is as of mine. Almost everything happy and in high spirits cheers me up. As my grandma picks me up from school and we then arrive home. It’s a white house with cloth lines lined inside the garage and out. Another car is parked under the garage terribly, pushing clothes hung inside to the left. Speaking of left, I always look right to see a black blur coming out of nowhere, whizzing out of the backyard into the front and pauses. My dog, much happier than me, invites me to play. I anticipate going upstairs to play with my dog. My own Querencia.
I enter the backyard towards the garden to check if my sunflowers were growing and the sweet aroma emitting from my grandma’s flowers overpowers my one, lonely flower. But still, nonetheless, have I faith, it will continue to grow. I look down always to see my black dog panting tiredly, blasted out from running everywhere. (He’s waaaaaayyyyyyyy too hyper) and I lower my hand to pet my dog. He lowers his head as if he was bowing and it was a privilege to be pet as I touch his soft fur riding slowly from his head toward his butt. Sounds somewhat pleasant, but it’s my querencia.
Dinnertime, where food is laid out on the table, the smell of ginger, oil, butter, and more attack my nose en masse. I then eat food sent from the heavens and then go to bed by at this time, I’m tired. A soft bed to sleep on, food, my dog, entertainment, clothes, water, and entertainment and I’m happy. And I have all of that in my querencia.
Joseph, you place is descriptive. You describe how your home looks and other components that make up your home, which is good. But try to explain more about "querencia"-- how and why you home feels like a place where you feel secure, explaining how the place helps you to figure out who you are, and explain how you home helps you to speak out you beliefs.
ReplyDeleteIn the beginning of your essay, you seem to be following a basic routine like getting from school to your home and bonding with your dog and that's a good thing. I can relate to what you're saying, since my neighbor's dog, which I called "mine" used to do that. Like what Traci said, mainly, you need to focus on how your querencia relates to your identity, aside from your actions that involve your querencia. A great essay with nice choice of words. =)
ReplyDeleteHi Joseph,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Traci and Desiree. You've got some good detail about your home, but it needs to be more focused and you need to strengthen the connection between your querencia and your identity. The details your highlight about your home should also relate to the nurturing of your personality and identity.
mrs s